Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Monday, September 08, 2008

Interesting Discussion Board question

Hm!


On our course Discussion Board, one of my students asked, "I am interested in your current guitar set up, and a fellow course member and I can't decide if you would rock a Flying V or a Strat."


And another one asked,

Hi there, I'm just wondering what kind of pedals and effects you use Travis? Perhaps you don't use any at all and are a pioneer of pure unadulturated tone? Maybe I'm completely off the mark and you're a modern shoegazer.

Furthermore, are you a marshall, orange or VOX kind of guy? And have you found a correlation between playing a marhsall amp and criminality? Moreover, who would be in your 'perfect' band (allowing both the living and deceased)?


Not surprisingly, both posted as Anonymous. :)


I could've just ignored those questions. But -- here's my reply:


L...O...L...!!!!

(Okay - **that's** a new one that hasn't been asked on a Discussion Board!!!)


My first, favorite guitar was a Ibanez Roadstar II -- which I named "Gypsy". Two humbuckers, whammy bridge which I hard-bolted to the body (never used it; locking down the bridge reduced tuning issues).

Sadly, it was lost in a burglary, just a few months after we moved to Brisbane.


I'm pretty agnostic on guitars. I try to have a wide range to choose from, to suit different purposes (different sounds). I tend to be a "bottom feeder" (i.e. <$300), and go more for "interesting looks" and "character" than "brand name".

Thus, no Fender Strats or Flying V's (although they're on my "To Get" list).

However, a fake Les Paul, two fake Strats, a fake Telecaster, a fake Jackson, a weird '70s cheapy Japanese, and a few others. Plus three acoustic guitars, three electric basses, and some other weird stuff (banjo, balalaika, a Chinese lute thingy...).


No hollow-bodies yet, for some reason...


Effects pedals: Love 'em! Like guitars, I have a bit of a palette of pedals - mostly various flavors of distortion, fuzz, overdrive... Mostly DOD or cheaper.


Amp tone: so far, I've only played through solid-state. Just after I bought my tube head, I got preoccupied with my Thesis, and then having kids. Haven't played for a few years.

However, I do have a preference for Gorilla amps over Peavey.

I need to sit down and try Marshalls, Orange, Vox, etc.: I can't honestly say. But I tend to get my sound through pedals, more than the amp.


Marshall amp and criminality: Possibly. Maybe I should apply for a grant... :)


Perfect band: Jerry Agustnyk (drums, 10,000 Maniacs); most of the guys from The Smithereens; Buddy Holly; a lady named Vanessa Veselka who was the singer/songwriter/guitarist from a Seattle band called "Bell", which is one of my all-time favorite bands, but never went anywhere; my cousin (we were in our first band together).


Bell: http://www.musicscene.com/bell/ar.html -- various mp3 links on the yellow column on the right!!!


--GG

2 Comments:

At September 09, 2008 2:24 PM, Blogger timidvenus said...

that was so refreshingly nerdy!!!

 
At September 09, 2008 3:13 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Thx! We try... :)


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home