Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Thomas Dolby - review of three albums

So, on the strength of one Thomas Dolby album, which I really like, I picked up two more for cheap.


The Golden Age of Wireless (1982) -- The first one of the lot, and the best of the lot. Has the famous "She Blinded Me with Science" (!!!) song. To someone like myself who likes '80s synth-y new wave, I like all the tracks. Some more than others, of course -- but three or four are definitely what I'd call "catchy" and "memorable". Those are my two key criteria: if many hours later, you find snippets of the song drifting through your head, that's a good thing.

The Flat Earth (1984) -- Disappointing. Gentle, but forgettable (as opposed to, say, gentle and haunting). Some are "light funk" -- and reminded me of those Bruce Willis solo albums...

Aliens at My Buick (1988) -- Also disappointing. Innocuous; uninspired; forgettable.


He seems to have abandoned groovy synth stuff, and forgotten how to write catchy songs. The other (later!) two albums are generic, by-the-numbers.


BUT -- go get The Golden Age of Wireless if you like the '80s synth-y new wave stuff!!! :)


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home