Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, June 01, 2008

The power of Dad-ness

I experienced one of the nifty things about being a Dad this weekend.

We were out shopping, and in the parents' room I had to do something for The Girl. So, I asked a mom standing next to me if she could hold my five month old son for a moment.

As soon as I handed the boy off, he started crying; when I took him back a minute or two later, he immediately stopped.

So: He recognizes me. At five months old. And some generic mom isn't as good as HIS Dad. :)


On a related note: The Girl (3.5yo) is really blossoming into an age where she's fun to interact with. Although her pronunciation is still poor at times, she's starting to manipulate language in innovated ways, in order to communicate complex thoughts.

Sorry: no real examples. But, that's what she's doing.


--GG

2 Comments:

At June 03, 2008 10:27 AM, Blogger slag said...

Do you hand your kids over to strangers often? If so, it sounds like you parental people are like in a giant club.

 
At June 03, 2008 11:11 AM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Not often. Just decent-seeming people who are in the same room, and within an arm's length away.

But, yeah: A bit of a giant club. There are a few "regulars" in the Parents' Rooms -- and even those who aren't "regulars", you can get a pretty quick sense of whether they're good parents or wack-o parents.


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home