Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Good soundtrack

Sometimes during the "midnight feeds" of our two baby boys, The Lady and I watch whatever happens to be on t.v. Lately, we've been watching the DVD (borrowed from her brother's family) of SkyHigh -- the one about the high school for super hero teens.

The soundtrack has a lot of 1980s songs -- although many of them are cover versions (to minimize the royalties that need to be paid?).

I felt proud of myself for recognizing (and singing along to!) a cover version of Devo's "Through Being Cool"* -- although they changed some of the lyrics to make it less subversive. When the rolled the end credits, I took a look at who performed the cover: They Might Be Giants!!!

So: One of my top-ten favorite bands covered one of the less-known songs of another of my top-ten favorite bands.

Gotta get the soundtrack.


--GG


*I'm pretty sure it's off Devo's Duty Now for the Future album. But I haven't bothered to verify this.