Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Monday, May 19, 2008

Shaping my daughter's tastes

Back when The Girl was just a baby, if we were having a hard time settling her (getting her to stop crying), I'd put on my DVD of "Weird Al" Yankovic music videos and dance around, while carrying The Girl.

Usually I'd play the same two or three music videos over and over: Usually "It's All About the Pentiums" and "Amish Paradise". Sometimes for twenty or thirty minutes at a time.


A few weeks ago I dug up that DVD again (although we moved into our current house about a year ago, a lot of things are still in boxes). I watched it; I liked it.


A few nights ago, I showed the DVD to The Girl. She seemed to like it.


Every night since then, she's asked to watch the "songs DVD" -- the one with "Hey baby" on it (she's referring to the line "It's all about the Pentiums, baby...").

With some coaching, she now calls it the "All about the Pentiums, baby, DVD". She's asked to watch it three nights in a row.


Phase one of my plan to raise my children to enjoy my style of music is almost complete... :)


(She already asks to listen to "Yes-ter-day GIRL" -- i.e. the song "Yesterday Girl" by The Smithereens: The chorus repeats the phrase "yesterday girl" a lot, which she sings along to. And we also hold hands and dance.)


(image is from the Weird Al hompage -- http://www.weirdal.com/070299a.htm)


--GG

3 Comments:

At May 20, 2008 2:58 PM, Blogger timidvenus said...

too cute (and maybe too nerdy) for words!

:)

 
At May 22, 2008 9:12 AM, Blogger slag said...

Can you mold her into liking classical and other types of music?

 
At May 22, 2008 2:09 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Slag: Could. But that's The Lady's jurisdiction.

In a year or two, I'll work on the bagpipe music...


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home