Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Musical fun

Mondays and Tuesdays are my teaching days.

Today (Tuesday), I'd brought my acoustic guitar in to play a song for my 4pm lecture. It was only marginally related to the lecture topic (stopping lecture to play a song for the lecture hall = an example of "deviance"). But mostly, it was just an excuse to play in front of a captive audience.

And, since I had my guitar in my office, ANYHOW -- at the last minute I decided to play another song (that is more directly criminologically related) for my three tutorials (or "quiz sections", depending on what your university calls 'em).


Given my lack of practice (although I've been dabbling off and on over the last week, in preparation), I made relatively few mistakes. And the songs were well-received: folks laughed at all the right places.

And: in my third tutorial, they actually asked me to play it again. So, after some coaxing, I did.


For the record, the two songs (both written/composed by me) were "Pretty Little Sue" and "Only Women Should Own Guns".


--GG

2 Comments:

At May 16, 2008 6:27 AM, Blogger timidvenus said...

are they available on itunes for those of us unfortunate enough to not be in your class?

 
At May 16, 2008 12:58 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Sorry, no -- most all of my songs that I've recorded are more "demo quality" than "finished version".

Although: I have links to three of my songs on the bottom of my "list o' favorite blogs" (R-hand side of my main blog page).

For the "Only Women Should Own Guns" song, I have a controversial "bridge section" that I'll probably omit when I record a better version: it condones the shooting of rapists, which I wrote when I was an angrier, more idealistic young man.

At this stage of my life, I don't want people contstruing it as an endorsement, and then suing me afterwards. (Just like the parents of that kid that killed himself, then sued Ozzy Osbourne because the kid had listened to the song "Suicide Solution".)


Thanks for the interest, though! :) (And again: links are off to the right, at the bottom of the list...)


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home