Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Monday, February 07, 2011

A little more about work

Two more miscellaneous about work.


-Either Thursday or Friday, we had a fire drill at work. Everyone had to evacuate the building. So, the whole office (all seven of us) got to walk down 28 flights of stairs. A little hypnotic, after a while -- swirling down, down, down...


-On my first day of work, the HR guy in our office gave us the tour. Aussies call elevators "lifts" -- so, as we walked past the elevator that was around the corner from the four main ones, he said, "That's the good lift."

"Ah", I thought to myself. So when I went on my lunch break, I gave it a try. Waited, waited, waited -- using up my lunch break -- and finally gave up and used the "regular" elevator.

Later, I heard someone refer to it as the "GOODS lift", and realized that it was what Americans would call the freight elevator.


--GG

Labels: