Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, February 03, 2011

Capitulating to the angle

On January 23rd, I decided that, o.k., I guess I really ought to buy a honing guide. All of my chisels and plane blades have rounded cutting bevels (see the sketch of the blue blade, at left), because I wobble just a bit when I sharpen them freehand. This results in a terribly inefficient sharpening process, because I end up having to sharpen **through** the rounded portion to get to the cutting edge. (Sorry -- that possibly doesn't make sense.)

So, even though it seemed a little cheezy to need a guide or a jig, I figured I'd succumb.

Since I knew I'd be starting a new job the following week (higher income, but also un- available during business hours), I went on over to the local specialty wood- working shop.

The one I bought is pictured here. There's a single, narrow wheel underneath -- a little hard to tell in this photo.

Twelve bucks Australian -- about ten bucks American (pre Global Financial Crisis). I had a quick try, and it looks like it will suit.


--GG

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home