Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Friday, May 09, 2008

Crying student

Today I had my second crying female student of the semester: made an appointment, sat down, started talking, then lost her composure and began crying.

Every semester I've ever taught, it seems like I end up with a crying female student in my office: mom died; broke up with her fiance; got laid off from her job; or other stuff.

Afterwards the student left, I talked to a (male) colleague about it, and apparently I'm more comfortable with it than he is. Maybe it's being a dad; maybe it's just my general personality.

Regardless, I have a fully-stocked box of tissues on my desk.


I have a wipeboard in my office, where I list my various "To Do" tasks. I'm pretty sure that this is Crying Female Student #2 for the term -- but it might be #3. So I've started a tally in the bottom corner, labeled "CFS". Obscure enough to conceal the meaning to others -- but I'll know.


--GG

4 Comments:

At May 10, 2008 12:39 AM, Blogger Susan said...

I always end up with CFC: Crying Female Coworkers. They always corner me in the bathroom. If I kept a tally sheet it'd run out of room in a month or two.

 
At May 10, 2008 9:57 AM, Blogger slag said...

Is there a male parallel to the crying? Like storming out or yelling?

 
At May 10, 2008 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes the male version would be SMS (Storming Male Student). Be sure to duck when they throw their text capable mobile device at you.
-GC

 
At May 12, 2008 5:00 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Strangely, no. No crying male students, EVER.

One angry male student -- well, more "irritated" than "angry".


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home