Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Sixteen geek books

Mother's day over at my wife's sister's house. Her husband is pursuing an I.T. degree part-time, even as he works for the Australian Tax Office as a database dude.

I mentioned to him that if he ever decides to get rid of his old textbooks, I'd buy them off him: I've looked at a few used networking books, plus other topics, at the university bookstore -- but they still wanted AU$60-AU$80 for them -- too much for curiousity/entertainment value.

He ended up sending me home with his entire stash -- except what he's using this semester -- for free!!! He said if he ever needs to refer to one, he'll just borrow it back.

Score!!!

Of particular interest to me:
  • Two on network things (TCP/IP), history of the internets, LAN things, etc.
  • Two on computer hardware
  • Three on C/C+/C++
  • Two on Java

I'm doing a good job of **not**diving right in to read them. :) Got other stuff higher up the priority list.


--GG

2 Comments:

At May 16, 2008 6:29 AM, Blogger timidvenus said...

wow! free books! although, you lost me at LAN...

 
At May 18, 2008 2:54 AM, Blogger slag said...

Cool! You and 4tower can compare notes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home