Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Sad girl

Interesting: After coming home from the Mother's Day thing at my in-laws, I unbuckled the girl from her car seat, telling her that she'd be able to walk into the house on her own, rather than having to wait while I carried the two boys in.

So, she climbed out, and walked to the house -- bawling her eyes out the whole way. Couldn't figure out why (partly because she was crying so hard, it was hard to understand what she was saying).

Eventually, we figured it out: "Daddy didn't want to carry me."

Apparently, my carrying her in to the house when we arrive home after dark -- and pointing at the starts, commenting on the moon, etc. -- is a big deal to her. So, when I thought I was being helpful by not making her wait in the car while I took care of the the boys: oops. I guess not.


So, I carried her back outside, we "tagged" the car, and then we talked about the stars and such. And then we went back inside.


--GG

2 Comments:

At May 18, 2008 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is really sweet! Good for you for carrying her around again! It's good for her to not feel as if the new kids in the house are getting the preferential treatment.

 
At May 18, 2008 9:15 AM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Thanks!

Actually, I don't think preferential treatment was the issue. I think that from her perspective, it had just become a ritual -- but I wasn't aware of that. :)


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home