Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Faded former glories

(...which would make a good song title for a Bryan Adams or John [Cougar, dangit!!!] Mellencamp -like song.)

When I got home from work yesterday, there was a small package waiting for me from my Guitar Cousin. It was some CD-Rs for me to "archive" for him (i.e. backup copies to be kept off-site from his house; yea, on a whole 'nother continent), two CD-Rs of some mp3 files of misc. songs of mine he'd found on his hard drive, and a remastered version of our ''Quiet Storm'' album that he, I, and my old roommate/drummer ''Crash'' Adams had self-recorded.

Looked forward to listening to it last night, but what with looking after and feeding the kid, some laundry, and talking to my folks (they're visiting from Seattle), I didn't get a chance. So, today at work.


I wonder how many folks who were in bands in their teens and 20s are like former high school and college athletes -- reflecting back on their past days of glory, and saying, "Yeah, we could've made it big, but..." (or, "Yeah, I could've played pro ball, but...").

And, I wonder if that's me?

Could be.

But I've been noticing that it's not until 9:15pm or so that I'm free from dinner, laundry, and watching the kid. Currently, that time is used for catching up with work stuff (since all of last week was basically nuked as far as nine-to-five productivity); next week, I'll likely resume Dissertation progress.

But even when I finish the Dissertation -- when the twins come in December, and we're all sleep-deprived, when am I going to actually record anything? Nine o'clock at night isn't a good tiime to start micing up guitar amps.

On the other hand: maybe a few hours here and there on the weekend. Back when I was actively recording, I found that assuming I had the musical arrangement all worked out (chords, melody lines, what instrument plays what), I could completely record and mix a song in almost exactly eight hours. So, just two or three hours a weekend -- that's a song a month. That's something. :)


--GG

1 Comments:

At August 30, 2007 4:41 AM, Blogger Charlotte said...

YAY TWINS!!!!! That is so exciting!!
Congratulations!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home