Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Taking a chance on an album

Well, technically it's not an album, but a CD single -- which isn't technically a ''single'', as it includes three songs, plus a remix of the first song.

It's Lilly Allen's CD, with "Smile", "Cheryl Tweedy", "Absolutely Nothing", and a remix of "Smile". Bought it somewhat impulsively while we were out doing the weekly shopping today. It was AU$3.85, including tax (so US$3.31 at the recent exchange rates). I bought it based largely on the strength of her rendition of "Oh My God" -- which doesn't quite make sense, since it's actually a cover song, and produced by someone else.

Just a few minutes I put it on, thinking "Please don't stink, please don't stink, please don't stink."

And? Well, for less than four bucks, it's not bad. The songs are pleasant enough, although -- to my ear -- not memorable. (Well, "Absolutely Nothing", on the third listen, has a little bit of sticking power.) But nothing like when I heard my first Alanis Morrisette or Ani DiFranco song.

So: Not disappointed. But not my new favorite artist, either.


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home