Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Know thyself (and thy geekness)

As I get older and older, I get a stronger sense of myself and of my interests. This is a good thing, of course -- hopefully, this happens to everyone.

I've noticed that over the last few months, when I do a little reading before bed, I've been reading my woodworking magazines over my Linux (computer) magazines. That's probably a good indication of which interest trumps which.

I've recognized that I don't want to be an I.T. person for a living. When do you computers as a hobby, you can pursue the stuff that interests you, and ignore the stuff that doesn't.

But I still have a touch o' the Geek: I have an old 200MB hard drive that someone gave me. (Nowadays, 80GB seems pretty standard.) Rather than throw it away, I'm keeping it around -- I'm curious about whether I can successfully get it to mount (get recognized by the computer). Now, that's probably not a normal sort of curious-ness, is it? :)


--GG

1 Comments:

At March 17, 2007 6:40 AM, Blogger paul said...

Yes, it is :)
I still have my sisters original 10MB drive from her PS/2. Useless, but hard to toss a piece of history like that out.

Also still have a Kyocera KC-30B pre IDE in the 200 MB range (think that was MCU?). Don't have the controller any longer, but the drive is still good.


I think I see some spring cleaning coming my way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home