Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Never give up

Back in late December, I saved two mango seeds (mango husks? mango pits?), and dried them as per my Googled "how to grow a mango tree from seed" instructions. I planted them January second (Yeah, I write these things down) -- just to see if it would work. Remember that it's summer for us in January.

For flower pots, I used a 2L pop bottle, and 2L milk jug, with the tops cut off and drainage holes poked in the bottom. I put the two "pots" out with the rest of our potted plants outside the bedroom window, and watered them regularly (same as the rest of the plants).

There was no apparent progress, and I had basically given up on them -- but I kept watering them anyhow. Today, I was out watering the plants again (we're in a drought, so I save the bath water from The Kid's bath, and water the plants with that), and noticed that one of the mangoes had actually sprouted! It must've just happened in the last week, as it's been raining every few days so I haven't been hand-watering for a while.

I replanted it into a bigger pot, to give the roots room to grow.

On related note, of the ten or so orange seeds I tried planting (I Googled the instructions for how to dry them, etc.), one of them sprouted. (In the red plastic pot.)

Never give up, I suppose. ;)


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home