Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Monday, March 05, 2007

Little adventure

Around noon today, it became uncomfortably hot in the study (i.e. our home office), and it was about 33C. The rule of thumb is that if the temperature is too hot for a person, it's too hot for your computer; and another rule of thumb is that 32C-33C is about as hot as you want your computer room to get. So, I packed up the house, grabbed the laptop, and headed off to the library.

On the way there, the red ''ignition'' light was on nearly the whole time. Made a mental note to myself to ask The Lady's parents about that when I got home. Also, as I listened to my ''mix cassette'', the volume kept dropping to almost nothing -- and then abruptly returning. Hm. Weird. But, I figured it was just oxidized bits of cassette tape coming off on the playback heads, then getting whisked away.

Was productive as normal at the local library (which is attached to the shopping mall). Spend the first half of my shift at the library, and the second half in the food court (while sipping on a slushie). Packed up around 4pm and headed home, to pick up The Kid from my mother-in-law.

About halfway home, however, the engine started ''chugging'', and I couldn't get any power: even with the pedal floored, I couldn't get up past 40km/h (about 25mph) -- and this was on the local highway, where the speed limit is about 80km/h! So cars were pulling around me and generally being annoyed. I ended up driving along the shoulder. And shortly thereafter, the car pooped out.

So, ended up walking home. Took me about 25-30 minutes. But, it could have been worse: the breakdown happened on the way home, in the late afternoon, so it was cooler than high noon (on the way in); I was only carrying the laptop bag, not groceries or whatever; I was wearing comfortable shoes (actually, I'm a guy, so all my shoes are comfortable -- even my dress shoes!)I had my wide-brimmed sun hat with me; it wasn't raining; and I found three pieces of wood (about the size ofmy arm) lying by the side of the road near where the car stalled out, which I salvaged and took home with me. And, I got some exercise.

Mum and Next-Door-BrotherInLaw were in the back yard at Mum's place, watching the kids. As I walked past the carport where The Lady and I park the car, clearly sweaty and a half hour late for picking up The Kid, I was disappointed that no one asked ''Hey! Where's your car?'' -- to which I would've replied "DOH!!!''

Next-Door BIL drove me back to the car and looked it over, but no dice. We phone RACQ (the car club), and I waited about a half hour (BIL had other things he needed to do). The service guy came, said it was the alternator, and charged up my battery. I limped home, after dark, on battery power with just running lights, no headlights, with the RACQ truck trailing me with its lights flashing.

End of adventure. ;) (Tomorrow, I'll get a tow truck to take the car to the mechanic's.)


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home