Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Little kid developmental stages

I'm finding it really interesting watching The Kid go through all the various developmental stages, and learning how to do things that I -- as an adult -- just take for granted. Like, for example, it took her several months of trying to jump up in the air before she was actually able to do it: she'd flex her knees, then rapidly straighten them -- but apparently, not with enough force to drive her body mass upwards so that her feet left the ground. Then she developed the strength, but lacked the timing: only one foot would leave the ground. But she's finally figured it out.

The current ''thing she can't do, which I take for granted'', is spitting. We're showing her how to brush her teeth, so she has the little kid toothbrush, and she's up on her little kid stepstool at the sink. I lean over and spit in the sink (to demonstrate). Then she leans over and says ''Puh''. Nothing comes out, though.

I'm not sure how to better show her how to spit. How did **I** learn how to spit, anyhow?

For that matter, how **do** I spit? Seems like there's some component of pressing my tongue to the roof of my mouth, thus forcing the fluid outward. But, it's hard to deconstruct.


Hm: Never thought I'd write a blog entry about spitting. But, there ya go.


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home