Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Carry on baggage: suckered!

Just got back from a brief trip to the U.S. I had the good fortune(?) to fly out only a few days after the ''water bottle plot'' was uncovered.

I phoned my airline to ask about the carry-on status, and was told:

-No pens
-Nothing in pockets
-No wallet; rubber-band your credit card and money together

I **had** been intending to bring my digital video camera, in carry-on. But I didn't feel comfortable putting it in my luggage (possible damage; possible theft), so I left it at home.

Here's my actual carry-on, then:


And, here are the contents:


(It was my own innovation to sort things by zip-lock baggies.)


And of course, when I got to the airport, people were toting their dufflebag-sized carry-ons, just like usual. Just no water bottles.

Ah well. I discovered just how lightly I could pack. And my entire carry-on fit in the seatback pocket.

The biggest nuisance was that I had to pay three bucks for a ''fancy'' ball-point pen at the airport gift shop, to fill out my arrival documentation, because I'd stowed my cheap-but-sturdy pen in my checked luggage. Ah well: now I have a fancy pen.


--GG

1 Comments:

At September 14, 2006 6:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those terrorists! No ball point pens on airplanes? No water bottles? (Plus no deodorants, contact lens solutions, shampoos, lotions, etc.) I'd say the "mission is accomplished" (as Bush said)-- except it's the terrorists' mission that seems to be winning -- negatively impacting our quality of life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home