Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Mystery ceiling T.P.

I enjoyed nosing about my grandpa's basement workshop. One of the things that caught my attention was a roll of toilet paper, hanging from the ceiling above his woodturning lathe.

Figured it was for when he had a runny nose: Back in my bachelor days, when I had a cold I'd carry around a roll of T.P., rather than tissues, because (1) it was somewhat cheaper, and (2) you could dole out exactly the amount required, depending on your juiciness.

Asked my grandpa about it the next day, when I visited him at his new place. Nope -- not for a runny nose. It was for wiping up excess glue after clamping (the squeeze-out).

Ah. Yeah, that makes sense. Either way, it's another example of how my grandpa customized his shop to suit his own working style -- which I hope to do in my own shop as well. When I eventually get one. ;)


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home