Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Grandpa's woodwork

Again, not to overwhelm folks, I've limited my display.

The first item is a more recent piece. For the last five (ten?) years, he's been making stripey breadboards out of contrasting woods, with inlays. (No stains, just a simple oil -- probably Danish oil, as that's one of his favorites.) Using the same style, he's made computer keyboard wrist-rests.

Starting a year or two ago, he diversified into making footstools with the same basic style. The one pictured is earmarked for my younger brother (really, my only brother). I took another one from elsewhere in the house, and it'll reach me (via crate, via ocean cartage) in... well, a few months.

The second footstool is indicative of his general style: lots of lathe-work, and darned solid! Maybe it's just me, but I can see the Swedish influence. (My Swedish-American grandfather; Norwegian-American grandmother.) I took one of these as well, since although I have a footstool he made (which The Kid loves to carry around the house, then sit on where-ever she sets it down), it's not as representative of his general ''style'' as the two I've pictured here.

One more entry to come.


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home