Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, May 04, 2006

The perfect guitar?

I'm always on the prowl for additional, inexpensive, good-quality guitars. My criteria are that they have to be solid, useable instruments (i.e. ''no junk''); different from the guitars I already have; and at a bargain price (which at the moment is less than AU$200/US$150).

Since The Lady was working from home today, and I was thus driving home by myself, I took the opportunity to stop in to a pawn shop that we drive directly past on our way home from work. I stopped by around 5:05pm, and was there until about 5:20pm; they close at 5:30.

Found an 18'' crash cymbal for AU$45, and a (discounted!) 14'' crash for AU$17 (!!!). The discounted crash sounded ''trashy'' -- kind of ''China crash'' for those who play drums -- but that's fine by me (and at that price...!).


Took one last look around. Off to the side, I spied a green steel-string acoustic guitar. My preference is for electric guitars, but I am lacking -- and missing -- a non-nylon string guitar -- seeing as how Roberto (my black, ''Johnny Cash'' acoustic guitar) was lost in the break-in. Went over and checked it out. AU$299 -- a bit more than my usual limit -- but, Ah!, such a lovely shade of green!

Looked at it some more. Hey -- what's the brand name on the headstock? Looks like ''Cravis''... that's a weird brand name. Looked through the sound hole at the maker's sticker inside: Ah! It's a ''Travis''-brand guitar.

A green guitar... Travis brand. Now, how could I pass that up?


A bit past my usual price, though. Talked it over with The Lady, though, and we've agreed I can seize it and stash it away for a birthday present (early November...).

Cosmic convergences...


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home