Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Hard drives: master and slave

O.k., I think I've had a breakthrough here.

Finally opened up the mega-tower PC to see if I could figure out why Linux distributions are having a hard time installing. I was suspecting something weird with the way the set up of the hard drives, since the hard drives kept getting described as in RAID configuration during the BIOS start-up.

Took a look at the jumpers on the back of the hard drives -- and both of them were set to ''Master''. Hm. That's kinda weird.

Changed one to ''Slave''. Since I had the case open, I also tossed in a few extra hard drives that I have lying around. Didn't attach cables, but at least (1) I know where they are, and (2) once I successfully install an operating system, I can trade the cables around at that point.


Haven't tried installing Linux again: It's getting late, so testing my hypothesis will have to wait for another day. ;)


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home