Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Friday, April 28, 2006

Working late, wrote a song

I've been putting in some long hours over the last week. In part, it's to catch up on the hours I owe the company, since in previous weeks I'd been coming in slightly late, and leaving somewhat early. But also, I've been trying to finish processing a data set so I can tidily wrap up my Data Archving role before I go on ''Dissertation Leave.''

I was in for a few hours this last Sunday, as well as on Tuesday (ANZAC Day, a federal holiday). Wednesday thru Friday (today), I stayed until seven-something p.m. And I'll be in for maybe five hours on Saturday, as well. A bit of a nuisance, as I'd rather go home at a ''normal'' time, like everyone else. And, it looks like I'll have to come in for a day or two next week, as well, just to tie up the final loose bits of the Data Archiving. But at least I'll be getting paid on a hourly rate -- so it **is** $$$$.

(Scribe pic from http://www.hyperbooks.com/images/scribe.jpg)


On a happier note, just when I was feeling a bit restless for not having played guitar for quite a while, and being concerned about not having written any songs -- I wrote a song!!! Well, three-fourths of a song: still need to tidy up the verses, write one last verse, and work up a bridge. But I have the main structure (both lyrics and instrumentation), and the intro and closing: that's generally enough for me to finish it off at one sitting.

Thought of good ''hook'' line for the chorus as I was walking from my office to the parking lot. Kept having to stop to jot down lyrics on a scrap of paper. Kept thinking of additional lyrics as I drove home: had to keep pulling over to write them down, 'cause otherwise I'd forget them. Also wrote down a few on the back of an envelope while standing next to my car in the McDonald's parking lot, both on my way in and my way out.

I'm pretty pleased with how it's shaping up. Told from my point of view, to Old Roommate's ladyfriend, Furniture Gal. (Their feet, at left.) I think the melody is catchy, and I've tried hard to make the lyrics non-cliched. And -- what made me giggle with delight several times as I had to pull over to jot down lyrics -- I have a few nifty turns of phrase, as well as a sprinkling of inside jokes that refer to myself, Old Roommate, and/or Furniture Gal. (Or is it Furniture Girl? Sorry.)

I don't want to build it up **too** much, as Old Roommate and Furniture Gal may not think it's as tickly as I do. Dunno.


No time to work on it this weekend. It'd be nice to crank out a sketch-quality version this next weekend. Back when I was actually recording songs, I worked out that it took almost exactly eight hours to record a song -- if it was only the recording, and I already had the lyrics, chords, bassline, and guitar riffs worked out.


Ayep! Pretty pleased. Hee hee...


--GG

2 Comments:

At May 01, 2006 3:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We await your song with baited breath ;-) Podcast, perhaps?

 
At May 02, 2006 11:24 AM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Hm -- don't think I'm that fancy.

But I may ask you to host the mp3, and I'll just link to it. ;)

It'll be a week or two (or three), regardless. ;)

--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home