Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Friday, April 28, 2006

Some guitar

Ever since our place got burglarized two(?!) years ago, and I lost most of my guitars and electric basses -- including my first electric, and the bass that I played in all the bands I've been in -- I've been a bit skittish with my music gear. Because of that, I keep all my guitar amps and musical instruments either hidden around the house, or in a locked cupboard. And the locked cupboard is behind a small stack of boxes.

All this helps to explain why I don't play guitar as much as I ought to -- or would like to. But, I was in a guitar-y mood, and we'd arrived home at a decent hour and already fed The Kid. So I brought out my Aussie-voltage guitar amp, a Danelectro guitar (the mellowness of the lipstick-style pickups balances the sharpness of the amp), and a delay and distortion pedal.

Tuned up, plugged in, and brought The Kid over to play. The Kid loved it! Stomped on the effects pedals, turning them off and on (and thus changing the guitar sound); twisted the tone knobs on the amp; strummed the guitar. Apparently, she likes messing with sound...


I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've let her foodle around with an electric guitar. Like me, she seems to like it better than acoustic guitars. Weirder sounds, I suppose.


Really good to play guitar again. First time in months. I'm hoping that in our new place I can have things more readily available, and our lives will be a little more organized -- so I can play guitar more.


--GG

2 Comments:

At May 09, 2006 1:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coincidentally, yesterday I played "Is This Love" (you, me, Joanne, etc. circa 1989) to Furniture Gal last night. It's still on cassette (thus the delay; don't own a cassette player so it never occurs to me). Been meaning to digitize it and send you a copy. Was a good blast to the past!

 
At May 09, 2006 5:10 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

As it becomes convenient... :)

There's actually three recorded version of that song floating around -- all vastly different. ;)

--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home