Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Perhaps a backyard gym

When -- oh yes, when -- our house gets built, I think I'd like to put up a few ''training devices'' in the back yard.

I thought of this today, as I went on a (solo) Slushie Run and passed a parking-meter like device that's about shoulder-height. (Well, my shoulder, anyhow.) I thought it would be fun to leapfrog over it -- but realized that maybe I should get back into shape, first, and practice a bit on something that height.

As often happens, my mind creatively wandered over the possibilities of backyard training equipment: similar in concept to some of the Shaolin-ish gung fu training set-ups, like in the photos I have here (sources: http://www.shaolin.co.za/ bedfordview/ bedfordview.htm and http://shifupics.metcn8.com), but not as formalized.

Things that would help keep me limber and able to do youthful-type things -- as needed -- and help prevent me from seizing up as I approach middle-age.

In addition to a small grassy hill, maybe waist-high, with a tree growing in the center (I've wanted a little hill like this for several years now; for leaning against and contemplating; being on a hill means that the grass will be non-soggy year-'round), I'm a-thinkin':

  • A single pole or stump, about shoulder-height, for practice leapfrogging

  • A pair of stumps with a rope strung fairly tightly between -- about waist-height for jumping over like one would jump over a fence

  • A horizontal bar, about lower-ribcage height, for practice fence-vaulting over (assisted by putting myhands on)

  • A moveable (but stable) small wooden platform, about a foot high, with a horizontal bar about head-height and a few feet away so I can practice leaping at the hohrizontal bar

  • Actually, I guess I will have a few stumps, in an oddball pattern, for practice leaping from one to another

  • Bars or horizontally-strung ropes at various heights, for me to jump up and ''tag'', as well as to jump up and grab

  • Platforms or stumps of various heights for me to jump down from

  • Some way of marking horizontal distances on the grass (but nothing people would trip over, or get caught in the lawnmower) for practice in jumping horizontal distances

  • A wall, about mid-chest height, for practice hefting myself up onto

  • A ten-foot wall, to practice scaling


The kids would probably have fun with these things, too... ;)


--GG

2 Comments:

At May 02, 2006 7:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sitting in a boring lecture with lots of cancerous uteruses. The backyard equipment is more appealing! We'll come visit as soon as it's in place.

 
At May 02, 2006 11:41 AM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

I hope you're not referring to your classmates! ;)

Yeah -- c'mon by! :)


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home