Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Friday, March 24, 2006

No flu for **you**, buddy!!!

I'd like to say that my mutant healing factor protects me from colds, flus, and various diseases. But that's just not true.

Thus, I just got back from getting my free(!!!) employee flu shot.

According to their little hand-out, because the flu shots contain dead flu bugs, you can **not** catch the flu from the shot.

You might, however, already have the flu, but not yet be showing the symptoms. And the immunization doesn't fully kick in for two weeks.

So: If you get the flu within a few days of getting the shot -- it's not their fault!


--GG

2 Comments:

At March 24, 2006 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't there mercury in the flu shots? There was something about that that caught my attention a while back; I love my blood/brain barrier so tend to shy away from anything vague. Yet I have no problems with Microwaves; go figure ;-)

 
At March 27, 2006 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is more MERCURY in your run-o-the-mill TUNA FISH sandwich (as well as your swordfish sandwich, shark sandwich, and the formerly much-beloved bass sandwich).

Physicians agree 'tis better to get the flu shot, tiny bit of mercury and all, then to get the flu.

Many contact lens solutions currently and/or formerly contain(ed) mercury, I believe, (please correct me if I'm wrong), in the form of "thimerosal."

For more information about fish high in mercury (as well as which fish to eat that are caught/raised in manners less destructive to the environment, please see Monterey Bay Aquarium's excellent pocket guide at
http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/ cr_seafoodwatch/download.asp (delete the space before clicking)
There are different versions, depending on where you live. They are updated periodically as practices change, and I actually DO carry one in my wallet to consult before purchasing seafood at restaurants and stores.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home