Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Friday, March 17, 2006

St. Patty's Day!!!

Being ''Gye Greene'' and all, Saint Patrick's Day is almost like a religious holiday for me. Olive-drab green short-sleved shirt; olive-green suspenders with blue pin-stripes; pastel-green paisley tie; faded olive-drab green high-top sneakers; and mint-green socks. I'll try to remember to shoot a digital pic when I get home.

Sadly, St. P's day isn't such a big deal here in Aussie-land. Near as I can tell, none of my colleagues wore green today. I noticed a little more green this morning on campus, but it could be I'm just more attuned to it. I counted 23 green-wearers out of the 151 people I bothered to count: 15.2%. I'll try counting again next Friday, and run a pr-test to see if there's a statistically meaninful difference between the proportion of green-wearers.

The customs also differ. Blog-readers, plz post a comment re: whether, as school children, you had the custom that if you didn't wear green on St. P's day, you got a pinch! Asked three of my co-workers, and none of them knew what I was talking about. (Granted, one of them is from the Netherlands.) So, is it an Everett, Washington thing -- or an American thing?


Anyhow, it's St. P's day, and I'm all greened-up!

Plus I got to round up computer components, so I'm happy. (The office has upgraded computers, so we're donating three per school to three Special Schools. Pretty decent machines: 15" flatscreens, Pentium 4, 2GHz-ish. Rounded up the appropriate number of cables, keyboards, manuals, etc. per machine.) :)


--GG



Update [Mon, Mar. 20, 2006]: Dangit! Forgot to take a pic. Ah well...

--GG

3 Comments:

At March 17, 2006 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course we are wearing green! Everyone in the office and the kids who are not on Spring Break. Big parade downtown and the green beer flowing freely! Can't wait to see pic of your outfit!

 
At March 22, 2006 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, you get pinched in Seattle too for not wearing green, but that's pretty close geographically to Everett, Washington.

Maybe there are less Irish in Australia proportionally, or maybe they were less discriminated against which means they were less inclined to celebrate an "Irish Pride" holiday. . .

 
At March 24, 2006 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Oregon people that didn't wear green at the office today got pinched!

Lots of people wore green shirts or green sweaters. It was the rare person who did not wear at least a shirt with some green stripes or something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home