Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Sad old computer

Maybe being sentimental over old, unloved computers is a true sign of geekdom. But I always feel bad for discarded technology -- slide rules, 1970s calculators, reel-to-reel tape recorders -- that used to be at the top of their class, but have since been supplanted by faster, cheaper, more powerful units.

They're surplusing some computers here at work. In addition to the "normal" desktop units -- one of which I'll pick up (P4, 2.5GHz-ish, 15" or 17" flatscreen LCD monitors) -- there's an oddball that I've been eyeing ever since I got here (July 2005).

It's a super-tall tower (not a server, but darned spiffy).

A little older: P-III (MMX), 850 MHz (nominal).

But it has an extra card for additional drives: Currently 2 of 20GB HD, but room on the ribbons for three more HD's, and rack room for 5 HD's.

RAM = 1.0GB

Also has floppy drive, Zip drive (250MB), CD-RW, separate DVD-ROM.

2 USB ports -- not sure if USB 1.0, though.


Fired it up, and it gets to WinNT login screen, at which point I'm stuck. But if I got it, would most likely wipe it and run Linux. Use the extra slots for my misc. ''extra'' 2GB-5GB HD's. Probably for video editing, which -- unlike audio editing -- isn't quite as ''real-time'' in its processing needs (as the video camera does the real-time capturing). Thus, the extra RAM should compensate for the slower speed. And the extra HDs would allow me to back up to various physical drives.

Put out an e-mail of advice to a few computer-type friendds. So far, the consenus seems to be (1) if I'm really interested, get it, but (2) offer a price lower than what it's been posted.

If I do this, I may get it: there were three of us in this office who were interested, but the other two have bowed out. And if my boss rejects my lowball offer, and he sends it to the auction -- our Centre doesn't get the money; it goes to the university. So, my chances are good.

If I get this one, The Lady says I'll need to get rid of one of my other PCs. Fair enough. ;)


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home