Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Teaching kids English wrong

I remind myself of an old Steve Martin riff, off his ''Wild and Crazy Guy'' album. From memory, I think it's the ''language'' thing off track #2. Basically, he thinks it'd be fun to intentionally teach your kids English... wrong. That way, it'll be funny when they go to school on the first day and speak gibberish.

The reason I remind myself of that is that I've been teaching The Kid ''come here'' in an alien language: the words are ''kee-TAH'', accompanied by a ''come here'' geture with arms crossed in front of your body. I got this from the pretty good, but sadly under-rated movie ''The Last Starfighter'' (a cute, reasonably family-friendly movie), where the main character gets brought to an alien world and is guided through various hallways by an alien lady who keeps saying ''kee-TAH.''

As evidenced by her behavior in the shopping mall on Saturday, and at home on Sunday, when I call out her name and do the single-armed ''come here'' gesture, she doesn't come. But when I say ''kee-TAH'' and do the alien gesture, she does.


Hm!


Side note: I actually tend to use the Southeast[?] Asian ''come here'' gesture, which is with the palm down. Apparently, the palm-up gesture is considered rude in some cultures. I'm not sure of my specific motivation -- except maybe ''just to be different.'' But maybe it's a desire to be multicultural. Dunno.


--GG

2 Comments:

At March 24, 2006 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Her translator is broken!" ;-)

 
At March 27, 2006 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once she gets older you can also have "code words" that mean something to
your family, but are meaningless or nonsensical to others. It allows you to communicate an idea when others may be within earshot. You can already do
this with your spouse.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home