Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Friday, December 09, 2005

Misguided bumper sticker

Sometimes I'm just a big curmudgeon -- or a little too literal.



I took this photo about a week ago, here on campus. I've seen it before, both here and in Seattle. Because it's not the clearest photo, I'll transcribe it: ''Happiness is a journey, not a destination.''

Sorry, but I disagree. Sure, happiness can be a journey, a process. (So can ''good health,'' for that matter.) But it is also an aim, an ultimate goal, a... destination.

Now, if it had said ''Happiness is a journey, not just a destination'' -- well, no problems there.

And, yes: I'm the sort of person that will actually spend small portions of his precious time on disagreeing with a bumper sticker. I just have a strong editor's trait, I suppose. I also circle typos in newspapers and magazines, and pencil in their corrections.

That' s me. Ayep! :)


BTW: Used to have the letters ''E A D G'' on the rear bumper of my Honda Civic. (House letters; cheaper than personalized license plates.) Any guesses as to what it meant?


--GG

1 Comments:

At December 11, 2005 8:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Happiness is a journey, not a destination."

Interesting...my take is that often people think or say once such and such happens I'll be happy. In a way saying "I'm not really happy now--but once I get/achieve/acquire X I'll have achieved a state of being "happy"

Rather, IMHO happiness is a state of being. While things or goals may seem satisfying once achieved they don't bring enduring satisfaction or happiness.

Goals towards a destination are "journeys with direction" which can bring happiness with realizing accomplishments towards the final goal. I think once the final goal is met or the destination is reached the satisfaction is short lived and one seeks a new goal or direction to go aim for.

So in a way you were correct in stating "But it is also an aim, an ultimate goal, a... destination."

Dan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home