Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Two Aussie car things

Two Aussie car things from Saturday. I taught my first class of the Summer semester on Saturday, and because I'm so wretched at remembering names, I have the tradition of handing out crayons so people can write their names in big, bold letters, and then taking ''mug shots'' of each student. (I line 'em up three across, up against the wall, holding their signs at chest-level.) Then I make flashcards and try to memorize names.

Because of this, I happened to have my digital camera, so I took these two shot of cars on campus.


The first one is of an antenna of a truck. Lost the original, so the owner twisted a coathanger into the shape of Australia. I particularly liked the fact that she/he had remembered to include Tasmania (the southern-most, island state), which often gets overlooked in Aussie-shaped trinkets and tourist trash.


The second one is an old-timey car -- I think it was a Holden [an Aussie brand]. In the same way that The Lady's family drives old Rover sedans, my family was raised on Studebakers -- so, to me, this is what a ''proper'' car is supposed to look like.


-GG

1 Comments:

At December 25, 2005 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gey, The second car, the oldy timey, is a 1961 EK Holden "Special". Holden Australia is associated with General Motors of USA. Notice any similarity of the EK to it's bigger brother - the Chevrolet of the same era?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home