Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Underwater camera with Ilford XP2 B&W

 As I might have mentioned, I've finally noticed that different film stocks have different "looks" -- so I'm now declaring the type of film I'm using, as "data points" to the world... for novice photographers who want to see what different film looks like. 

This is with an inexpensive "underwater" 35mm "children's" camera -- "Sunnylife" brand.  However, I noticed that the teeth on the gear on the waterproof shell's "film advance knob" are not long enough to engage sufficiently with the teeth on the camera's film advance wheel.  This means that between each underwater shot, you have to take the camera out of the water, dry it (more or less) with a towel, open the waterproof casing, advance the film to the next exposure, and put the waterproof casing back on:  inconvenient -- but not a deal-breaker.


Also, for some reason only 12 of the 24 exposures turned out. It could be "user error" -- e.g. trying to get shots where was insufficient light -- but I didn't take sufficient notes to be able to know.  So, it's probably my fault -- but I'm providing this anyhow, as a data point.


As usual:  (1) no edits unless I declare them, and (2) you get a better sense if you enlarge the pics by clicking on them.

Various vacation shots, down at the Gold Coast.  The hotel had a pool....


Just using it as a regular "cheap plastic camera":  yep!  :)



A selfie!  The camera is in the pool; I am not.


A neighboring building, from underwater.  I think I took this one.

 

Nice texture. Also kind of a building.


A lamppost, from underwater.  One of my kids took this.

 

My feet.  Obviously not by me.  :)


TBH, I'd probably just use this as a "regular camera".  Although maybe taking photos of underwater sea life might be interesting.  But you'd have to keep coming up between shots, to advance the film.


--GG

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home