Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, September 22, 2022

Recommend the movie Get Low

Get Low.  It took me 10-15 "mediocre-to-bad" movies for me to get to this one.  ;)



A "B+" recommendation for Get Low, a non-famous movie with Robert Duvall and Sissy Spacek.

Not flashy -- but immediately engaging (to me, anyhow), with an actual story trajectory and good solid dialogue (with sprinklings of quiet wit). 

Basically, a grumpy hermit comes into town and wants to arrange a funeral service for himself -- while he's still alive -- so people can share all the stories they've heard about him over the years.  I laughed a few times (some good lines), and I teared up about three times -- so, good.

A "period piece" -- but I can't quite peg the time period (1930s?).  Rural South -- but the wooded part of the South. 


For context:  I have a bunch of DVDs that I picked up for a dollar each (my viewing habits are too erratic to borrow things from the library -- I'd have to keep returning things without watching them).

My tiered system is:

1) Got bored, never made it past the first 10 minutes
2) Not horrible -- but only watched the first 10-20 minutes, never got around to returning
3) Pretty good -- finished it off in little pieces, over a week or so
4) Watched it in 1-2 days, in segments
5) Watched it in a single sitting
5-plus) Stupidly stayed up past my bedtime to watch it.

Under the above system, this one was a "4-plus":  started watching it during breakfast, but had yardwork to do so didn't finish it immediately -- but then watched sections of it whenever I took a break, and finished it at dinnertime:  so, knocked it off in a day.


--GG

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home