Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Monday, August 15, 2022

B&W through an Ilford Sprite 35-II

 Picked up an Ilford Sprite 35-II -- basically a Holga, but far less expensive (the camera itself; also it shoots 35mm, so you get 24 or 36 shots, not 8, 10, or 12).  ;)  Just one focal length, shutter speed, and aperture -- and you don't get to focus.  If you put a battery in it, you can use a flash -- but I don't like the look of front-lit photos, so I'm not using the flash.

This one came with a 24 exposure roll of B&W film -- I think 400 ASA, but I'm not sure (I just remember thinking "Ah!  Yeah, that makes sense."  So, probably 400, not 200 or 100. 

I managed to squeeze 27 shots (well -- 26 plus half a frame) out of that roll.  Seven didn't turn out:  some were outdoors, but at dusk; others were indoors, but a desk lamp wasn't enough for the 400 ASA (lesson learned).  

Here are some of the better ones.  As usual, I'm omitting the ones of my kids.  Also, as usual there's no addt'l adjusting of the image (cropping, digital color-correcting).

Double-click to examine them more closely.  :)

 

The half frame, at the start of the roll:  the skybridge between the car park and a train station.


 

The second exposure on the roll -- a subtly different framing (and a full frame).  For both of these, I got the lens flares on purpose.


More lens flares!  :)


At the train station, while waiting for the train.  This is the better of the two shots.  (Learned a photography term from my Dad:  the similar shots that don't make the cut are the "outs".)



Under-exposed -- but the resulting framing actually turned out interesting.


Looks kind of 1940s.  Also, I like the "leading lines" of the power lines.


Some guy.  One of the kids took this, at my request.  I don't recollect whom.


As noted above, no digital manipulation afterwards, nor cropping -- this is just "what I got"  ;)


I just dropped of another three rolls, over the weekend -- including a roll of 120 "Redscale" -- color, but with the reds, oranges, and yellows emphasized.  Will see how that all turns out.

Also, I have a "proper" 35mm camera from my Dad:  will shoot through that in the next few weeks.  This is the one that I have strong childhood memories of: the one that he used for vacation photos; family events; birthday parties; Christmas....  But when digital cameras got decent and affordable, he switched to that; and for the last 5(?) years he's just used his phone.  In December he boxed the camera up, as well as all of his 1960s/1970s lenses, and sent them to me:  I've used the lenses for filmmaking purposes -- but haven't yet taken photos on them.

Soon.  :)


--GG

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home