Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Two bands

I have the Harmacy album from Sebadoah -- which I really like (nearly every song is excellent) -- and I also keep hearing about the band Fountains of Wayne, but never got around to checking them out.

So, thanks to the magic of the Grooveshark website (free streaming audio of a zillion bands [famous and non-famous]; thx to Tara H. for the tip!), I loaded up all their songs available.

Well. Sebadoah, sadly, I **only** liked the songs on the Harmacy album. YMMV, of course; but that's **my** aesthetic judgement.

Fountains of Wayne, OTOH -- **Wow!!!** Not necessarily my "New Favorite Band" -- but yeah, I'd pick up their albums. I like nearly every one of their songs. So, good. :)


This also bodes well towards my continuing efforts toward "keeping my musical tastes open". Over the last five weeks, I've discovered Chromeo, and Fountains of Wayne. And since the beginning of the year, I've discovered Petra Hayden (late March): she was in the Rentals, and has some solo albums of her acapella work (brilliant!!!; catchy, and good arrangements), and also Owl City (late February; good melodies, but also clever lyrics).

So, that's four bands that I like, since the beginning of the year. That's pretty good for a 40-something year old guy. :)


--GG

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home