Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Dream of the house

When I was a kid, I always thought my paternal grandparents' house was pretty neat-o. My grandfather (and his father, and father-in-law) built the house themselves. It painted white, but with green trim (a little lighter than forest green; don't know what to call it). Although it was somewhat small, it had a pair of white pillars on the front porch. And it was on a double lot -- so the "empty" lot to the right had a veggie garden, and a chicken coop near the rear fence (used to have chickens; all of my life it was simply storage).

Sadly, when my grandpa went into assisted care a few years ago, it was sold, and thus passed out of the family. The house was remodeled a bit (Google maps satellite view shows a rear deck that's new) and the "empty" lot now has a pair of condos. The chicken coop seems to be gone.


So, during today's nap (I stay up crazy late to do work, then take a nap during the days to recoup, when the kids take their nap), I dreamed that I drove up to the house (for some reason), and there was the house -- **better** than I remembered it! It has the same green trim -- but otherwise it was totally a seafoam green (same color as the image in this post).

A guy that looked like a very blond-bleached Matthew McConaughey (the guy in this photo), in a Willy Wonka -like suit (but no hat) came out and welcomed me -- and then my grandmother (who pre-deceased my grandfather by several years -- so, I was super-glad to see her!). As I got out of the car, I could see that the veggie garden was lush and well-tended; the chicken coop had actual chickens pecking and scratching in a fenced-in area around it; and the small hill behind the house was even richer with vegetation than I remembered. And there may have been some sort of carnival ride on the hill, as well -- not sure.

Pretty neat-o. But then I woke up, so I don't know what happened next. Bummer.


--GG

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home