Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Socks for the memories

I've been busy with work stuff for the last week, and The Lady's been ill, so we're low on clean laundry. This morning I needed a pair of socks, so I got a pair out of the box of stuff from my recently deceased paternal grandfather. Practical, sturdy grey socks: the sort of thing he'd wear out fishing, or in his woodshop.

I came out to the family room, and showed them off to my daughter.

"These were my grandpa's socks," I told The Girl.

"Why do you have your grandpa's socks?" she asked.

Pause. "Because he wasn't using them any more," I said.

"And now you're wearing them!" she said.

"And now I'm wearing them," I said quietly.


--GG

Labels:

2 Comments:

At September 25, 2010 11:19 AM, Anonymous Dave'ola said...

"... I said quietly". Very well written! You should consider writing your Grandfather's memoirs, in one version or another.

 
At September 25, 2010 1:27 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Hey, thanks for that.

I think my writing, like songwriting, is best when it just "occurs" -- rather than needing editing.

I have audio tape of all five grandparents (four biological, one step-grandparent). ONE of these days, I'll transcribe and edit them.

**Very** eventually.


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home