Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Dissertation progress

Well, not quite ''end of January''. But, getting close.

Yeah, it's three-something in the morning. Getting kind of used to it.


The "good'' draft (although with formatting issues, such as needing a table of contents) should be done by Tues night, maybe Weds; have The Lady look it over for typos and such; Friday or Saturday, e-mail it to my sister-in-law in Seattle to print out for me, hand off to my professors to read.

Then, defend it by phone in about a month; then, have 60 days to make any changes my professors demand. **Then**, done!


I'm estimating it to be 250-300 pages (double-spaced, 12 pt font, Times New Roman). Yergh. Most people's in my discipline are about 150. That explains at least **part** of what's taken me so long. (Note: not including the bibliography.)


Dissertation in a nutshell: Sociological research of "family" dynamics, and Criminological research on "family" effects on delinquency, says "family" but really means "parents".

So, I bring siblings, and the household (e.g. poverty; family violence) back in. I do some statistical things, and -- yep! -- siblings and the household paint a fuller picture than just parents. Also, more ''household'' things, and ''sibling'' things, are relevant to delinquency than are ''parental'' things.

Therefore: Sociologists and Criminologists should **really** include sibs and the HH, not just limit themselves to parents.


Ayep.


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home