Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Monday, February 09, 2009

Now **that's** a bummer

As I'm writing up my Dissertation (**very** close to sending off a ''good'' draft to my Committee -- about a day's work, and then have The Lady read through it to detect stupidness), I've been slowly going though a pile of CDs -- some of which I haven't listened to for a while.

One of them is by this guy named Logan Whitehurst. I ordered a pair of CDs from his solo project ''Logan Whitehurst and the Jr. Science Club'', back on 10/23/01, from mp3.com, for $7.98 + tax + S&H (I tend to write these things in the liner notes; beause I like data, and it's hard to retrieve it once it's lost).

Anyhow, listened to it, and remembered how much I liked it: reminds me a bit of They Might Be Giants -- e.g. the song ''The Waffle of Death'', ''Vibrating Leprechaun'', ''The Standard Metric System''. (Example: ''Robot Cat'' -- more recent than those songs, so has a more ''polished'' sound.) Thought I'd take a **quick** break from writing my Dissertation and go check out his mp3.com site, to see what he's done lately -- and buy another album or two, once I've resumed work and we have disposable income again.

But, the site was blank. Or at least, pretty thin: just had one album listed -- whereas, back when I bought my two albums, I **think** I was choosing among four or five.

So, did a quick Google -- and came up with this. Basically, it's a pre-page to his main webpage, from his younger sister, saying he died in 2006. From (according to his Wikipedia entry) a brain tumor.

Yow.

That sucks.

He wrote some good music.


--GG

2 Comments:

At April 01, 2009 11:39 AM, Anonymous giovanna said...

That's really too bad. I bet his younger sister (if she monitors the web site) would appreciate you letting her know that you really liked the music.

 
At April 01, 2009 12:56 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Yep; actually did that. His sister's in a band, so I Googled for the band website and left her a message. She gave a very nice reply a few days later.

(You should listen to the two mp3 files there -- you might like them -- esp. the "Snowman and Me" song.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home