Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, February 05, 2009

I'm an American idiom

Boy #2 has a bit of a cold, so he was sad: kept crying.

For him, I wasn’t good enough: it took his mommy holding him to get him to happy up. Apparently, Daddy doesn’t cut the mustard like Mommy does.


This made me think of how similar-sounding idioms often aren't similar in meaning:

1) "Apparently, Daddy doesn’t cut the mustard like Mommy does."

2) "Apparently, Daddy doesn’t cut the cheese like Mommy does."


Whenever someone produces sub-par work, I'm gonna start saying, "Sorry, buddy -- that just doesn't cut the cheese."


--GG

2 Comments:

At February 06, 2009 3:09 AM, Blogger (not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

Bwahahahahahaha!

Pull my finger.

Sorry! I lost control there for a second.

 
At February 14, 2009 12:17 AM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

''Sorry! I lost control there for a second.''

Which means it's too late to pull your finger... ;)


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home