Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Few Regrets

I have very few regrets in life. Offhand, I can think of three.


One is giving away an Apple II monitor (monochrome green screen!) to a classmate’s boyfriend who did film/video stuff, when I was preparing to move to Aussie-land. It had an RCA input in the back, so I used to use it as a green t.v. screen with my VCR.

I gave it away because I knew Australian voltage is different, so it’d be a nuisance to run it. Gah; should’ve kept it: monochrome green is **cool**. And Apple II things are peculiarly hard to come by, here in Aussie-land.


Number two: My younger sister was in a play, in high school. By this time I lived out of town, about an hour away. She said the play wasn’t very good, so I didn’t need to come see her in it. So, I didn't.

In hindsight, I should’ve seen it anyhow – not because the play was good, but because my **sister** was in it.


Number three: All through high school, I had a total crush on this girl. Never talked to her -- it was a stupid teenage crush, based on her being cute, **seeming** nice, and seeing her in the hall between classes. (I've since figured out that it's "all about the conversation".)

Finally, one day, I “happened” to be following her down the stairs at school between periods (the main building had three floors), and some students were standing on the stairs, gabbing -- thus blocking the stairs. So, we were stuck Together.

We stood there for what seemed like forever – and I kept thinking, “Say something! Say something witty! Or -- **something**!!!” But, I didn’t.

I later found out, through various means (long story) that she wasn’t my type – so, it’s not like we would’ve dated or anything -- so I still would've ended up with my same wife (which is a good thing). But I still kick myself over my dink-ness.


Ah! Just thought of one more. (Oop! Two more.) But, not as seminal.


--GG

4 Comments:

At January 26, 2009 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's so hot! But if I tell her, she'd think I was sexist. She's so hot, she's making me sexist!...

BTW - I own season 1 of FOTC now. . .

 
At January 27, 2009 1:02 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Excellent!!! :)

Pathetically, at one point I had the entire "Hiphopopottomous" song memorized.

Not any more, though.


--GG

 
At April 01, 2009 11:54 AM, Anonymous Giovanni said...

No worries about the play(s) (I was actually in two plays). I definitely wouldn't lose sleep over it. I barely ever think of them. However, I occasionally think about how nice of you it was to write me letters from college a few times a month! That is so much better!

 
At April 01, 2009 12:40 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Yeah, the second one I saw: you were the town gossip; and then you were the dead town gossip, sitting on a folding chair and looking out to the horizon.

Good stuff; you should do more plays.


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home