Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Yet another hobby


























(Image from some ''Art Terminology'' website at http://www.artlex.com/ArtLex/G.html)

Back in the day, I used to make up super heroes (and villains) for fun: design their costumes, work out all their gear (including actual working schematics), figure out their backstory, and all that. Then, about the time I turned my creative energies to music, I stopped.

But, I still have all my three-ring binders of my notes and sketches -- for what it's worth. I had some pretty good stuff in there.

If I had better drawing skills -- or actually enjoyed the process enough to draw just for the fun of it, and get better through sheer practice -- I might have ended up working for Marvel or DC. Or, starting my own indie comic line. But, I'm just a shade under mediocre when it comes to drawing: I can get the point across, but it's not at all pretty.


But recently, two forces have converged to inspire me to add another hobby to my WIFMD (When I Finish My Dissertation) "To Do" list. Because, you know -- I don't have enough hobbies and interests.


First, for some reason -- possibly Slag-related, but I'm not sure -- on August 18th while running some errands with The Lady, I came up with three or four ideas for superhero spoofs or parodies. Clearly Tick-inspired (or, Mystery Men/Flaming Carrot?). As will most of my wacky thoughts, I jotted them down on a scrap of paper, so as to not lose them.

And, nearly every day since then, I've added another bad pun, weak parody, or one-joke concept to my list of super-heroes and super-villians. I currently have eleven -- including two I thought of a few months ago.


Second, I continue to be inspired by Old Roommate's online comic strip ''Crittertude'' -- which I could've sworn was in my List o' Links off to the right -- but, clearly not (need to fix that!). Not just the quality of the strips, but also the actual doing of it.


So: WIFMD, I shall endeavour to do an online super-hero comic strip -- kinda spoofy, but with a straight face. I'll do something similar to gesture drawings (had to track this term down via Wikipedia; did these back in H.S. art class...) -- just sketching it in, not worrying about perfection as long as I make my visual point. (See image at the top of this post.)

I figure that if I keep at it, my drawings will get better. If I get bored, or run out of ideas -- that's fine, too. :)


Example of one of my (minor) characters tomorrow...


--GG

2 Comments:

At August 26, 2008 1:41 AM, Blogger slag said...

I LOVE IT! I used to do this too, only my heroes and villains were mostly personified concepts. Irony Man, the Flying Hysteria, etc. Finish your dissertation so we can see!

barst

 
At August 26, 2008 4:09 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Could you do a blog post on the Flying Hysteria? I'm curious...

"barst" is the word verification thing?


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home