Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Write down memories

The punchline first: When you have a really special time with someone you care about -- a parent, sibling, partner, child -- write it down that evening and stockpile it. Address it to that person, and many years later, share it with him or her.


The inspiration: Today, I spent more time than usual with The Girl (daughter, 3.9 y.o.) -- and I had a really nice time. Tonight, I spent a while typing up the main things we did together, with as much detail as I could remember -- including quirks and turns of phrase that are uniquely hers, and the reasons why today meant so much to me. I put the date at the top, and put my name at the bottom.

Then I printed it out, put it in an envelope, and wrote "Do not open until...[18th birthday, or whenever]" on the envelope. I put it on a shelf in her closet, next to prints of various snapshots of her that I've been stockpiling (for her future).


--GG

1 Comments:

At July 18, 2008 12:49 PM, Blogger Tara said...

I think that is a lovely idea, GG. It will mean a lot to her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home