Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Friday, July 11, 2008

My first exposure to computers was with the Apple II+. And I read somewhere that it's easier on your eyes, if you use the computer a lot, to have a dark background with light text (suggestion: blue or dark purple background, with yellow text), rather than black letters on a white background: with a white background, it's like a flashlight shining into your eyes.

So, a few days ago I tweaked the color settings of my web browser at work (Firefox). (Pictured; click to bigicize.) It's probably disorienting for most folks -- but since I don't share my computer with anyone -- it works for me.

FWIW: If you use MS Word -- "Tools" menu; "Options"; the "General" tab... second option down is "blue background with white text". I think it's intended for folks used to WordPerfect -- but I tend to use that setting whenever I'm doing a lot of writing. Again, it takes a few minutes to get used to it -- but long-term, it's easier on the eyes.


--GG

3 Comments:

At July 12, 2008 2:49 AM, Blogger timidvenus said...

random, unrelated comment:
http://xkcd.com/208/
just in case you havent seen that one. its funnie

 
At July 15, 2008 11:24 AM, Blogger slag said...

Actually, I think the studies on this go back and forth. Sometimes dark on light; othertimes light on dark. I think we're always supposed to avoid white in favor of cream or yellow, but who actually does that?

 
At July 15, 2008 12:07 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

White vs. cream/yellow: I do. But, I'm wacky.

(bonus leap: In the "Tick" comics, he often comments that ninjas are "wacky".)


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home