Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, April 20, 2008

No, that's not what I meant

So, we're running errands today at the local mall. I see a girl, maybe 16yo, with her mom. The girl's wearing a Nirvana t-shirt -- similar to the photo I've posted here, but with one of the guys (maybe Kurt; I don't remember) holding a flower. The caption says something cryptic about flowers.

Being a quasi-musician... from Seattle... and having once worked at a place that sold band t-shirts... I was curious about the phrase. It didn't ring any bells as one of their song lyrics; maybe they have a new album out: B-sides and studio outtakes that Courtney's releasing?

So, I went over and asked the girl, "Sorry, but -- what does that phrase on the bottom of your t-shirt mean? Is it some new song or album of theirs that's been released?"

"Oh, it's the name of a band. 'Nirvana' is a band."

(A pause, while I re-orient myself.) "Um, yeah -- I know that. That's **my** generation..." (Mom looks bemused; she's probably about my age.) "What I meant was: What does the phrase at the bottom mean? Do they have a new song or album out?"

"Um, I don't know", the girl says. "I just liked the t-shirt."

Ah.


I guess folks who were teens in the '70s probably feel the same way about kids wearing artificially ''aged'' Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin T's -- they don't care about the band, they just want a '70s ''period'' look.

So, I must be at that age: the bands of my youth now have ''retro chic''.

Sigh.


--GG


(P.S. Minor trivia: When I was in my first band [playing bass], with my cousin [on guitar], and my roommate [drums], the age-ordering by instrument, and the relative age gap, was identical to Nirvana's: bassist was the oldest; then guitar; then drums.

Also: It drives me nutty when I see these band ads that specify "18-26" for the applicants. Dave Grohl (formerly Nirvana; now Foo Fighters) is my age. Are these folks saying they'd turn down Dave Grohl if he applied for the gig???)

3 Comments:

At April 21, 2008 6:34 AM, Blogger timidvenus said...

lol. ive thought about kids these days (did i really just say that?) wearing those shirts. actually, i almost get offended when i see some tween in a shirt that i identify with, like from my high school days or something. i have this urge to go up and ask what they thought of a certain album, and *hope* that they dont know about the band whos shirt they have on. like i dont want to share with these newbies, that cant possibly understand what the music is about. silly i guess, and im sure youre right, i bet people my folks age hated when i walked around in my 'the who' shirt when i was sixteen...

 
At April 21, 2008 9:50 AM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

TimidVenus,


Ayep! :)

It's hard to tell, of course: I hate the fact that Paris Hilton wore a "Ramones" t-shirt, and now all these 14yo girls are wearing them too (presumably, not because they like the band). OTOH, it's now really easy to find Ramones shirts...

Nirvana is a peculiar case: I've seen a fair number of 16-24 y.o. kids that are **totally** into Nirvana -- much more than I am.

I'm in to Buddy Holly, and moderately into the Beatles -- and a H.S. friend really dug Elvis -- so at least **some** of these kids are legitimately into the bad.

I like your idea of a "litmus test"/qualifying quiz. :)


--GG

 
At April 23, 2008 2:23 PM, Blogger slag said...

Poor gg. Feeling old? Either way, it's weird to me that someone would wear a shirt when they don't know what it says.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home