Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Ninja instructor

So, I'm leading one of my tutorials, and there's these two women sitting off to the side who keep talking. If they're discussing one of the points I raised -- well, I guess that's o.k. But I had the strong suspicion that their discussion was actually a bit tangental to the class.

I gave them the ''Teacher Look'' a few times, and that quieted them -- briefly. But then they would start again.

I finally ended up striding over to their side of the class, with my white labcoat billowing proudly behind me, and standing next to them. "Perhaps I need to stand over here for a while, eh?" I asked with a grin and a raise of the eyebrow. They got the point.

Then, to diffuse the situation, I launched my thirty-eight year old self into a cartwheel -- labcoat and all -- back to the middle of the room -- where I resumed the lecture, deadpan.

After a minute or two I commented to one of the students in the front row: "The secret is in keeping a straight face."


--GG

4 Comments:

At April 17, 2008 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is AMAZING you can do a cartwheel -- and were so confident in your ability that you actually did that! When was the last time that you did a cartwheel, previous to then?

 
At April 17, 2008 11:31 AM, Blogger timidvenus said...

lol. i can just picture it!

 
At April 17, 2008 7:54 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Giovanna: A year, maybe two. I did it without really thinking about it -- it just seemed "right", given the situation. (Not sure what **that** says about me...!) :)

TimidVenus: Hey! I'm honoured that you're still reading my blog! :)


--GG

 
At April 23, 2008 2:25 PM, Blogger slag said...

Freak. I like it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home