Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

The Girl's language development

The girl is three and a half years old -- and she still talks funny. More specifically, her pronunciation is a little off, compared to most kids her age.

But, the last few weeks she's been improving by leaps and bounds. Although, some gaps remain.

We're trying to -- gently -- correct and shape her speech. But after four or five tries per episode, we let it lie for a little.


Example: She says "SLUH-hee" for "slushie" (i.e. frozen coke; slurpee -- my one great vice). I ask her, "Can you go [my finger to my lips] "Shhhhh!!!", like you're telling someone to be quiet?" She copies me, with a "shhhh" sound.

Then I say, "Can you say "SLUH - SHHHHH!!! - shee".

And she says "SLUH-shee [finger to lips] SHHHHHH!!!"


Repeat 3-4 times; call it good.

So, clearly she can make the sounds... :)


--GG

1 Comments:

At April 16, 2008 5:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had problems saying and/or remembering to pronounce certain sounds up until 2nd grade. I apparently couldn't hear the sound, because I could say it just fine when prompted. So I think she'll be fine.

By the way, I read that one needs to develop musical abilities at an early age (just like with learning a 2nd language), because the brain is so much more maleable. I think I read that if you want your kids to be musically inclined, you should start around age 4. (This was just a newspaper article--nothing too scientific or accurate.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home