Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Teaching witticism

So, yesterday one of my tutorials (called "quiz sections" at some universities) was a little unruly, and hard to get settled. But a few hollered "Hey!"s on my part did the trick.

After I had their attention, I half-jokingly shook my finger at them and said, "You're all being a little naughty."

"And," I added, "Not in the fun way, either."


It got laughs.


--GG

5 Comments:

At April 02, 2008 3:49 AM, Blogger slag said...

Are you trying to freak your students out or what?

 
At April 02, 2008 9:41 AM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Sure! :)

Actually, they all laughed (it was all in the spontenaity and timing).

I figure that if the classes are entertaining, they'll actually show up -- which means that I can actually teach them (compared to if they skip class). :)


--GG

 
At April 02, 2008 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can hear just the way you'd say it. Very funny. -GC

 
At April 03, 2008 3:38 PM, Blogger timidvenus said...

i would totally take a class of yours, although i dont think i know what exactly it is that you teach. they were always the best classes though, the ones that the teacher seemed like they really wanted to be there...

 
At April 03, 2008 4:35 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

TimidVenus,


Hey, thanks! :) Yep -- I look forwards to doing my lectures.

Subject: Criminology.

This term it's "Sociological Crim. Theory" (next semester I teach the "Psychological Crim. Theory" course), and "Intro to Soc. for Crim. Majors").

(Those aren't the official titles; but it probably ought to be.) :)


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home