Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Friday, April 04, 2008

Sometimes the punt is good

Sometimes when you take a punt, it works out well.


One of my favorite bands is ''Laptop'' -- a one-man band, which has been described as a mix of '80s new wave and industrial. He writes songs with lotsa synths, distorted guitars, and witty, somewhat sardonic lyrics. Good stuff.

So, because I was ordering some other used books and used CDs off of LargeSouthAmericanRiver.com, I ordered this one as well -- sight unseen.


Now, in the past I've been burned on buying albums -- un-previewed -- by bands that I really like. Sometimes then end up being stink-o -- especially if they're from the very end, or very beginning (like this one) of their careers.

Plus, the track listing indicated that there was a fair amount of overlap (about 50%) with songs from this guy that I already had. So, not as much ''value for money'' as I'd hope.


But still, I took a punt.


And -- I luuuuuv it!!! Good stuff (as good as his other stuff). And the ''duplicate'' songs? They're earlier incarnations -- they sound almost like demo versions, in that they're not as ''produced'' sounding as his later stuff. So: not duplicates of the versions I have. Good.


Happy music-listening boy! :)

(Not my most-favoritist of his albums -- but still, good stuff. Favorite song: "Nothing to Declare" (uses Customs and Immigrations at the airport as a big metaphor). He also does a Human League/Depeche Mode-y version of Billy Joel's "Still Rock and Roll to Me".)


--GG

3 Comments:

At April 03, 2008 1:16 PM, Blogger Charlotte said...

I've had similar experiences with discovering Richard Hawley records and bootlegs.

That is the best!!!

 
At April 13, 2008 1:11 AM, Blogger slag said...

This is a good lesson. I need to remember sometimes just to give things a try when the cost of doing so isn't actually that high (all things considered). Four-tower is good at this. I will let you two teach me.

 
At April 13, 2008 6:40 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Slag: Four-Tower is good at many things; a good guy.

He is Yoda.


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home