Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Good garage sale haul

Stopped by the best garage sale I've **ever** been to here in Australia! The entire basement of a house. I asked the lady (if she didn't mind telling me) where all the stuff came from: she said that they used to clear out houses (estate sales, etc.) for a living. So, I presume this was all the ''non-dumpster'' stuff.

A fair amount of good stuff, although most of it wasn't of direct interest to me. I only had three bucks on me -- because it's rare for me to go out without The Lady, and we've somehow settled into a pattern where **she's** the one who hits the cash machine -- so I laid my choices on the ground and asked the garage sale lady how much of it she'd let me take for three bucks. ''All of it,'' she said. Woo-hoo!!!

A small-ish ball-peen hammer: It was clearly used around car parts, because the wooden handle is coated with dried automotive grease 'n' oil; the texture is unpleasant as I hold it. Needs a good clean with turpentine or mentholated spirits, then some of my boiled linseed oil and turps ''wooden tool handle'' mixture.
Despite its small size, it has a nice heft, and the wooden handle has some subtle shaping that makes it fit nicely in my hand.

A small-ish claw hammer, metal handle, black rubber grip. Again, despite its small size -- you can compare it to the size of the CD-R, for scale -- it has a good heft.

Green plastic pruners: solid, in reasonably good condition (although the cutting blade needs a quick sharpen).

Pincpers/nail-pullers.

Green clamshell-style CD-ROM case.


Since I paid AU$3.00 for the lot, that works out to 60 cents each. Yeah -- a verra good deal. ;)


There was a small synthesizer/keyboard, a cricket bat, two rusty handsaws, and a few shovels there that I'll take a look at when they're next open. No price stickers on anything, so I presume you just make an offer...


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home